Moving goods to and from Northern Ireland

Posted on 13th February 2023 by Streets HMRC notices

Image to represent Moving goods to and from Northern Ireland

There are special procedures for moving goods in and out of Northern Ireland. Under the Northern Ireland Protocol, all Northern Ireland businesses continue to have access to the whole UK market. 

HMRC lists the following six-steps that should be considered before you move goods between Northern Ireland and non-EU countries (including Great Britain):

  1. If you plan to move goods between Northern Ireland and non-EU countries (including Great Britain), you will need an EORI number that starts with XI.
  2. If you plan to move goods between Northern Ireland and Great Britain or bring goods into Northern Ireland from outside the UK, you can sign up for the free Trader Support Service.
  3. If you are not using the Trader Support Service, you can get someone to deal with customs for you, or find a training provider to help you.
  4. If you bring goods into Northern Ireland, you can find out how to make sure the right tariff is applied to the goods you bring from Great Britain (including whether you can claim preferential rates of duty on goods covered in the UK’s deal with the EU) or from countries outside of the EU and the UK.
  5. If you import goods regularly, you can apply for a duty deferment account to delay paying most customs charges.
  6. To understand any duty or other measures that apply to your goods, you need to find the right commodity code to make your declaration when you bring goods in or send goods out of Northern Ireland.

HMRC also lists the following four-steps that should be considered before you move goods between Northern Ireland and the EU:

  1. If you plan to move goods between Northern Ireland and the EU, you will need to tell HMRC so that you are identified as trading under the Northern Ireland Protocol.
  2. You will need to add an ‘XI’ prefix before your UK VAT number on all documentation when communicating with EU customers or suppliers. This is so VAT can be accounted for correctly on transactions between Northern Ireland and the EU using rules on intra-EU movements.
  3. If you make sales of goods from Northern Ireland to consumers in the EU check how to pay VAT using the One Stop Shop (OSS) Union scheme.
  4. If you import eligible low value goods into Northern Ireland and have registered for the VAT Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) in the EU, find out how to tell HMRC your IOSS registration number.

No Advice

The content produced and presented by Streets is for general guidance and informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal, tax, investment, financial or other advice. Furthermore, it should not be considered a recommendation or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy any securities or other form of financial asset. The information provided by Streets is of a general nature and is not specific for any individual or entity. Appropriate and tailored advice or independent research should be obtained before making any such decisions. Streets does not accept any liability for any loss or damage which is incurred from you acting or not acting as a result of obtaining Streets' visual or audible content.


The content used by Streets has been obtained from or is based on sources that we believe to be accurate and reliable. Although reasonable care has been taken in gathering the necessary information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information we publish and we accept no liability for any errors or omissions in material. You should always seek specific advice prior to making any investment, legal or tax decisions.

Expert insight and news straight
to your inbox

Related Articles

Taxable and non-taxable State Benefits

Whilst there are a large number of state benefits available, it is not clear which of these benefits are taxable and which are tax-free. HMRC’s guidance provides the following list of the most common state benefits that are taxable, i.e., Income Tax

Child benefit for 16 to 19 year olds

The child benefit rates for the only or eldest child in a family is currently £25.60 and the weekly rate for all other children is £16.95. Taxpayers entitled to the child benefit should be aware that HMRC usually stop paying child benefit on the 31

When you cannot use the Property or Trading Allowances

Two separate £1,000 tax allowances for property and trading income were introduced in April 2017. If you have both types of income highlighted below, then you can claim a £1,000 allowance for each. The £1,000 exemptions from tax apply to: If you

You might also be interested in...