Checking your Simple Assessment tax bill

Posted on 22nd August 2023 by Streets -  Income Tax

Image to represent Checking your Simple Assessment tax bill

Simple Assessment is a method by which HMRC can assess where additional Income Tax is due by a taxpayer. A Simple Assessment letter is usually issued to taxpayers with reasonable straight forward tax affairs. The Simple Assessment notice of liability does not require taxpayers to submit a Self-Assessment tax return.

The Simple Assessment process was first announced by HMRC back in 2016. However, the rollout has been paused a number of times. The process can be used in various situations, for example, where it is not possible to collect the whole of a person’s annual Income Tax liability through PAYE, if HMRC is owed £3,000 or more and if there is tax to be paid on the State Pension.

Recipients of a Simple Assessment tax bill should check that the amounts shown in the letter match your records, for example, your P60, bank statements or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

If the amounts are correct, you will need to pay your Simple Assessment tax bill. 

You must pay by either:

  • 31 January - for any tax you owe from the previous tax year; or
  • within 3 months of the issue date if you received your letter after 31 October.

The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April. In some cases, HMRC will allow the payments to be made in instalments.

A taxpayer who does not agree with the Simple Assessment has 60 days from the date it was issued to contact HMRC, setting out the reasons for their objections. If no objections are raised within 60 days, the Simple Assessment is automatically finalised.

No Advice

The content produced and presented by Streets is for general guidance and informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal, tax, investment, financial or other advice. Furthermore, it should not be considered a recommendation or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy any securities or other form of financial asset. The information provided by Streets is of a general nature and is not specific for any individual or entity. Appropriate and tailored advice or independent research should be obtained before making any such decisions. Streets does not accept any liability for any loss or damage which is incurred from you acting or not acting as a result of obtaining Streets' visual or audible content.


The content used by Streets has been obtained from or is based on sources that we believe to be accurate and reliable. Although reasonable care has been taken in gathering the necessary information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information we publish and we accept no liability for any errors or omissions in material. You should always seek specific advice prior to making any investment, legal or tax decisions.

Expert insight and news straight
to your inbox

Related Articles

Changes to Scottish Income Tax rates 2024-25

A reminder of the changes to Scottish Income Tax rates for the 2024-25 tax year. It was announced as part of the Scottish Budget measures that a new tax band called the advanced rate band will apply a 45% tax rate on annual income between £75,000 and

Claim tax relief if working from home

If you are an employee who is working from home, you may be able to claim tax relief for part of your household bills that are related to your work. If your expenses or allowances are not paid by your employer, you can claim tax relief directly from HMRC. You ...

What a tax code means

The letters in your tax code signify your entitlement (or not) to the annual tax free personal allowance. The tax codes are updated periodically and help employer’s work out how much tax to deduct from an employee’s pay packet.  The basic personal allowance for the current (and next) ...

You might also be interested in...