State Pension if you retire abroad

Posted on 1st August 2023 by Streets Pension

Image to represent State Pension if you retire abroad

If you are retiring abroad, you are still entitled to claim your UK State Pension as long as you have built up a suitable amount of qualifying years of NIC contributions. However, your entitlement to yearly increases in the State Pension only apply in certain countries. 

The increases only apply if you live in:

  • The European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
  • A country that has a social security agreement with the UK that allows for cost of living increases to the State Pension. Note, the UK has social security agreements with Canada and New Zealand, but you cannot get a yearly increase in your UK State Pension if you live in either of those countries.

If you do not qualify for the annual increase in the State Pension but move back to the UK then your pension will revert to the current rate.

If you are living abroad, you must be within four months of your State Pension age to claim.

To claim your pension, you can either:

  • contact the International Pension Centre; or
  • send the international claim form to the International Pension Centre (the address is on the form).

You can elect to have your pension paid into a UK or foreign bank account. There are also tax implications that need to be considered. If your country of residence does not have a double taxation agreement with the UK, you may pay tax in both places. 

No Advice

The content produced and presented by Streets is for general guidance and informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal, tax, investment, financial or other advice. Furthermore, it should not be considered a recommendation or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy any securities or other form of financial asset. The information provided by Streets is of a general nature and is not specific for any individual or entity. Appropriate and tailored advice or independent research should be obtained before making any such decisions. Streets does not accept any liability for any loss or damage which is incurred from you acting or not acting as a result of obtaining Streets' visual or audible content.


The content used by Streets has been obtained from or is based on sources that we believe to be accurate and reliable. Although reasonable care has been taken in gathering the necessary information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information we publish and we accept no liability for any errors or omissions in material. You should always seek specific advice prior to making any investment, legal or tax decisions.

Expert insight and news straight
to your inbox

Related Articles

Check your State Pension forecast

The enhanced Check Your State Pension forecast service is now available online. The service can be found on GOV.UK at the following webpage The new digital service is a joint service by HM Revenue and Customs

Claim tax relief on pension contributions

You can usually claim tax relief on private pension contributions worth up to 100% of your annual earnings, subject to the overriding limits. Tax relief is paid on pension contributions at the highest rate of income tax paid. This means that if you are: A basic rate ...

Workplace pension responsibilities

Automatic enrolment for workplace pensions has helped many employees make provision for their retirement, with employers and government also contributing to make a larger pension pot. The law states that employers must automatically enrol workers into a workplace pension if they are aged between 22 and State Pension ...

You might also be interested in...