Shares and asset valuations for tax purposes

Posted on 3rd April 2023 by Streets Capital Gains Tax

Image to represent Shares and asset valuations for tax purposes

The Shares and Assets Valuations (SAV) team is a special section of HRMC that deals with enquiries in respect of the valuations of unquoted shares - shares of companies which are not quoted, listed or traded on the stock exchange for taxation purposes. 

The office also deals with other asset valuations including:

  • intangible assets (for example intellectual property, trademarks, patents, goodwill)
  • foreign shares
  • bloodstock
  • chattels
  • foreign residential property
  • boats, aircraft and a range of other assets

Valuations are required in many circumstances including acquisitions, disposals, issue of certain share options and transfers as a gift or upon death. Requests for valuations should be sent initially by post. HMRC will only email you with confidential information if given written agreement that they can do so. The SAV office can also help with Post Transaction Valuation Checks for the disposal of assets.

The SAV does not provide valuations for:

  • aircraft
  • bloodstock (for example, racehorses and livestock herds)
  • boats
  • chattels (such as antiques, art and jewellery)
  • foreign residential property
  • foreign shares
  • intangible assets (such as intellectual property, trademarks, patents and goodwill)
  • negligible value claims
  • quoted and unquoted shares

No Advice

The content produced and presented by Streets is for general guidance and informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal, tax, investment, financial or other advice. Furthermore, it should not be considered a recommendation or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy any securities or other form of financial asset. The information provided by Streets is of a general nature and is not specific for any individual or entity. Appropriate and tailored advice or independent research should be obtained before making any such decisions. Streets does not accept any liability for any loss or damage which is incurred from you acting or not acting as a result of obtaining Streets' visual or audible content.


The content used by Streets has been obtained from or is based on sources that we believe to be accurate and reliable. Although reasonable care has been taken in gathering the necessary information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information we publish and we accept no liability for any errors or omissions in material. You should always seek specific advice prior to making any investment, legal or tax decisions.

Expert insight and news straight
to your inbox

Related Articles

Non-resident UK property sales

There are specials rules that apply to UK property sales by non-residents. Since 6 April 2020 non-residents have needed to report and pay any non-resident Capital Gains Tax (CGT) due if they have sold or disposed of: residential UK property or

CGT Rollover Relief

Business Asset Rollover Relief also known as CGT Rollover Relief allows for deferral of Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on gains made when taxpayers sell or dispose of certain assets and use all or part of the proceeds to buy new business assets. The relief

Tax when transferring assets during divorce

When a couple is separating or is divorced it is unlikely that they are thinking about the tax implications of their actions. However, apart from the emotional stress, there are also tax issues that can have significant implications. The Capital

You might also be interested in...