Residential Property Developer Tax

Posted on 11th October 2022 by Streets Corporation Tax

Image to represent Residential Property Developer Tax

The Residential Property Developer Tax (RPDT) is a new tax on large residential property developers that came into effect on 1 April 2022. The new tax was first announced in February 2021 as part of a package of measures to contribute towards the Government’s cost of dealing with defective cladding in the UK’s high-rise housing stock discovered following the Grenfell Tower fire tragedy in June 2017.

This is a profits-based tax levied on the largest residential property developers. The tax is payable by developers with annual profits over £25 million. For companies within the scope of the tax, RPDT is charged at 4% on residential property development profits that exceed their annual allowance of £25 million.

The RPDT applies to profits arising from residential property development in accounting periods ending on or after 1 April 2022, with profits from periods straddling that date being apportioned. The tax applies to all qualifying businesses not just those who were directly involved with defective cladding matters.

HMRC’s internal manuals list the following four key concepts that need to be considered when determining whether a company is an RP developer with the effect that the activities of the company (or other members of its group) fall within the scope of RPDT:

  • Is the company liable to UK Corporation Tax?
  • Is it conducting activities of, or in connection with, the development of residential property in the UK as part of, or in support of, a trade continued by the company or a member of its group?
  • Does the company, or a member of its group, have an interest in the land that is being developed, either directly or through holding a substantial interest in a relevant joint venture company, which will later be disposed of in the course of that trade, other than an excluded interest?
  • Does the development activity relate to residential property, in whole or in part, other than properties which are specifically excluded?

No Advice

The content produced and presented by Streets is for general guidance and informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal, tax, investment, financial or other advice. Furthermore, it should not be considered a recommendation or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy any securities or other form of financial asset. The information provided by Streets is of a general nature and is not specific for any individual or entity. Appropriate and tailored advice or independent research should be obtained before making any such decisions. Streets does not accept any liability for any loss or damage which is incurred from you acting or not acting as a result of obtaining Streets' visual or audible content.


The content used by Streets has been obtained from or is based on sources that we believe to be accurate and reliable. Although reasonable care has been taken in gathering the necessary information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information we publish and we accept no liability for any errors or omissions in material. You should always seek specific advice prior to making any investment, legal or tax decisions.

Expert insight and news straight
to your inbox

Related Articles

How to claim R&D expenditure credit

In the Autumn Statement last year, it was announced that the existing R&D Expenditure Credit and Small and Medium Enterprise Scheme would be merged from April 2024. The merged scheme R&D expenditure credit (RDEC) and enhanced R&D

Directors who are liable for unpaid tax

HMRC has the power to make directors personally liable for paying the tax debts of companies they have been involved in under certain limited circumstances. This can also apply to certain other individuals associated with a company. A joint and

Restarting a dormant or non-trading company

HMRC must be informed when a non-trading or dormant company starts trading and becomes active for Corporation Tax purposes. Companies can use HMRC Online Services to supply the relevant information.  When a company has previously traded and then stops it would normally be considered as dormant. A company ...

You might also be interested in...