Furnished Holiday Lets and VAT

Posted on 11th July 2022 by Streets Value Added Tax

Image to represent Furnished Holiday Lets and VAT

The furnished holiday let (FHL) rules allow holiday lettings of properties that meet certain conditions to be treated as a trade for some specific tax purposes. As an FHL is treated as a business, it is important to remember that VAT must be accounted for on furnished holiday lettings once the VAT registration threshold is surpassed. 

This means that all FHL income would be subject to VAT at the 20% standard rate once the VAT registration threshold, currently £85,000, is breached.  Anyone with an FHL with gross rentals exceeding £85,000 in the previous 12 months or expected to exceed £85,000 in the next 30 days is required to register for VAT. If the owners of an FHL business already hold a VAT registration in relation to other business activity, then the FHL income would be subject to VAT from the start. Of course, VAT registration may offer some benefits in allowing for the VAT recovery on refurbishment, maintenance and day-to-day running costs associated with the property in question.

In order to qualify as a furnished holiday letting, the following criteria need to be met:

  • The property must be let on a commercial basis with a view to the realisation of profits. Second homes or properties that are only let occasionally or to family and friends do not qualify.
  • The property must be located in the UK, or in a country within the EEA. 
  • The property must be furnished. This means that there must be sufficient furniture provided for normal occupation and your visitors must be entitled to use the furniture.

In addition, the property must pass the following 3 occupancy conditions. 

  1. Pattern of occupation condition. The property must not be used for more than 155 days for longer term occupation (i.e. a continuous period of more than 31 days).
  2. The availability condition. The property must be available for commercial letting at commercial rates for at least 30 weeks (210 days) per year. 
  3. The letting condition. The property must be let for at least 15 weeks (105 days) per year and home owners should be able to demonstrate the income from these lettings.  

No Advice

The content produced and presented by Streets is for general guidance and informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal, tax, investment, financial or other advice. Furthermore, it should not be considered a recommendation or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy any securities or other form of financial asset. The information provided by Streets is of a general nature and is not specific for any individual or entity. Appropriate and tailored advice or independent research should be obtained before making any such decisions. Streets does not accept any liability for any loss or damage which is incurred from you acting or not acting as a result of obtaining Streets' visual or audible content.


The content used by Streets has been obtained from or is based on sources that we believe to be accurate and reliable. Although reasonable care has been taken in gathering the necessary information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information we publish and we accept no liability for any errors or omissions in material. You should always seek specific advice prior to making any investment, legal or tax decisions.

Expert insight and news straight
to your inbox

Related Articles

Are mega sized marshmallows zero-rated?

In the UK most basic food stuffs are zero rated. However, the definition of 'basic' is not straightforward and many of the foods are zero rated as a result of historical legislation dating back to the introduction of VAT in 1973. Famously, cakes are

VAT responsibilities for businesses

The taxable turnover threshold that determines whether businesses should be registered for VAT is currently £85,000. Businesses with turnover below this level can also apply for a voluntary VAT registration. Businesses charge VAT on their sales.

How to check a UK VAT number

The online service for checking a UK VAT number is available at: www.gov.uk/check-uk-vat-number. This service can be used to check: if a UK VAT registration number is valid; and the name and address of the business the number is registered

You might also be interested in...