How to join MTD ITSA pilot

Posted on 7th February 2022 by Streets -  Income Tax

Image to represent How to join MTD ITSA pilot

Some businesses and agents are already keeping digital records and providing updates to HMRC as part of a live pilot to test and develop the MTD for ITSA. Under the pilot, qualifying landlords and sole traders (or their agents) can use software to keep digital records and send Income Tax updates instead of filing a Self-Assessment tax return.

The option to sign-up as an individual for MTD for ITSA is currently only available to individuals using a recognised provider offering software that is compatible with MTD for ITSA.

HMRC recently shared the following update on the pilot to software developers.

'As we progress the MTD ITSA pilot it is important that we manage it in a controlled way so that we can test and expand effectively. So, from 9th December, customers will only be able to sign up for the MTD ITSA Pilot through their software provider (in essence how it is currently happening). As we expand the pilot, this will enable HMRC and developers to ensure that all customers entering the pilot (and their agents where applicable) receive the support and guidance that they need.   

Customers who are already participating in the Pilot can continue to do so. HMRC will be sharing more detail in early 2022 including the Pilot outline plan which will include a roadmap identifying when various customer types will be eligible to join MTD ITSA. MTD also continues to work on the Customer Support Model to support customers more come into the service from April 2022.'

It will be interesting to see what further sign-ups will be enabled once the pilot roadmap is published.

No Advice

The content produced and presented by Streets is for general guidance and informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal, tax, investment, financial or other advice. Furthermore, it should not be considered a recommendation or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy any securities or other form of financial asset. The information provided by Streets is of a general nature and is not specific for any individual or entity. Appropriate and tailored advice or independent research should be obtained before making any such decisions. Streets does not accept any liability for any loss or damage which is incurred from you acting or not acting as a result of obtaining Streets' visual or audible content.


The content used by Streets has been obtained from or is based on sources that we believe to be accurate and reliable. Although reasonable care has been taken in gathering the necessary information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information we publish and we accept no liability for any errors or omissions in material. You should always seek specific advice prior to making any investment, legal or tax decisions.

Expert insight and news straight
to your inbox

Related Articles

Claim tax relief if working from home

If you are an employee who is working from home, you may be able to claim tax relief for part of your household bills that are related to your work. If your expenses or allowances are not paid by your employer, you can claim tax relief directly from HMRC. You ...

What a tax code means

The letters in your tax code signify your entitlement (or not) to the annual tax free personal allowance. The tax codes are updated periodically and help employer’s work out how much tax to deduct from an employee’s pay packet.  The basic personal allowance for the current (and next) ...

Declare a beneficial interests in joint property

The usual tax position for couples who live together with their spouse or civil partners is that property income held in joint names is divided 50:50. This is regardless of the actual ownership structure. However, where there is unequal ownership and the couple want the income taxed on ...

You might also be interested in...