National Insurance Contributions (NIC) for workers moving between the UK and the EU

Posted on 11th March 2021 by Streets What's trending?

Image to represent National Insurance Contributions (NIC) for workers moving between the UK and the EU

HMRC has published updates to two of the guidance pages that discuss the National Insurance (NI) implications for individuals from the UK going to work in the EU and social security contributions for individuals coming to work temporarily in the UK, following the fact that all EU member states have expressed their wish to opt in to apply the detached worker provision.

National Insurance for workers from the UK working in the EEA or Switzerland

Working in the EU

To ensure that they only pay NI contributions in the UK, a worker, or their employer, should apply for the relevant certificate or document if they are:

  • Going to work temporarily in the EU for up to two years
  • A multistate worker working in the UK and one or more EU countries
  • A civil servant working for the UK government
  • Working onboard a vessel at sea with a UK flag
  • Working as a flight or cabin crew member, where the home base is in the UK

The application for the NI certificate needs to be made and the certificate received before it can be applied to payroll.

Social security contributions for workers coming to the UK from the EEA or Switzerland

Updates to guidance have been included to demonstrate the fact that individuals, who are coming to work on a temporary basis in the UK, and their employers, should apply for a certificate or document from the social security organisation in the EU member state that they are coming from. This could mean that they continue paying social security contributions there and will not be required to pay social security contributions in the UK.

No Advice

The content produced and presented by Streets is for general guidance and informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal, tax, investment, financial or other advice. Furthermore, it should not be considered a recommendation or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy any securities or other form of financial asset. The information provided by Streets is of a general nature and is not specific for any individual or entity. Appropriate and tailored advice or independent research should be obtained before making any such decisions. Streets does not accept any liability for any loss or damage which is incurred from you acting or not acting as a result of obtaining Streets' visual or audible content.


The content used by Streets has been obtained from or is based on sources that we believe to be accurate and reliable. Although reasonable care has been taken in gathering the necessary information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information we publish and we accept no liability for any errors or omissions in material. You should always seek specific advice prior to making any investment, legal or tax decisions.

Expert insight and news straight
to your inbox

Related Articles

Boost Your Restaurant's Cash Flow with These Top Tips!

Maintaining a healthy cash flow is crucial for the success of any restaurant. Here are five key strategies to get you started: Optimise Menu Prices Ensure your dishes are priced for both competitiveness and profitabilityStreamline InventoryReduce waste and free up cash by using smart inventory management techniquesNegotiate with SuppliersBetter terms ...

Property Finance - unlocking opportunities with confidence and support

Exploring, navigating and understanding the complex landscape of property finance options can not only be time consuming, but hard to understand with the diverse range of financing options that are available in the market. It is essential from the outset for business owners to carefully evaluate their financing and ...

Child Benefit Updates

You may have heard about the recent changes to the High Income Child Benefit Charge which were announced in the Spring Budget. This is something that will affect several of our clients, and the changes can influence whether claims are made for child benefit or whether those that ...

You might also be interested in...