The New Non-Resident Stamp Duty Land Tax surcharge

Posted on 29th April 2021 by Streets

Image to represent The New Non-Resident Stamp Duty Land Tax surcharge

From 1 April 2021 a 2% Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) surcharge will apply to Non-UK Residents purchasing residential property in England and Northern Ireland.

How will it work?

Essentially, the surcharge means an additional 2% rate of tax will be applied when calculating the SDLT liability on certain acquisitions of residential property located in England or Northern Ireland, by persons who are not (or are treated as not being) resident in the UK for these purposes. The surcharge will not apply to properties located in Scotland or Wales.

What types of properties will the surcharge apply to?

The surcharge will only apply to acquisitions of residential properties and not commercial properties. 

It may be required, if it is not clear, to establish if a property thought to be residential, is a dwelling.  This is a fairly subjective area where advice would need to be sought to establish the position.

Who does the surcharge apply to and what types of purchasers?

For the surcharge to apply the purchaser would need to be Non-UK Resident, specifically for the purposes of the SDLT rules. The rules are complex and will therefore need to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. In addition it will depend on the type of purchaser i.e. individual, company, partnership, bare trust or as a joint purchase.

What is the administration required?

In terms of disclosure and administration, the SDLT return, (the tax return filed on completion of a property purchase), will need to reflect the additional surcharge.

In circumstances where the purchaser becomes entitled to a refund of the surcharge i.e. where an individual becomes UK resident within 12 months following the purchase, a refund can be claimed within 24 months of the transaction by amendment to the SDLT return.

If you are uncertain as to whether the rules apply to you and indeed if a property is residential as a dwelling or whether for these purposes you are deemed to be Non-UK Resident, please get in touch and we would be happy to help.

No Advice

The content produced and presented by Streets is for general guidance and informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal, tax, investment, financial or other advice. Furthermore, it should not be considered a recommendation or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy any securities or other form of financial asset. The information provided by Streets is of a general nature and is not specific for any individual or entity. Appropriate and tailored advice or independent research should be obtained before making any such decisions. Streets does not accept any liability for any loss or damage which is incurred from you acting or not acting as a result of obtaining Streets' visual or audible content.


The content used by Streets has been obtained from or is based on sources that we believe to be accurate and reliable. Although reasonable care has been taken in gathering the necessary information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information we publish and we accept no liability for any errors or omissions in material. You should always seek specific advice prior to making any investment, legal or tax decisions.

Expert insight and news straight
to your inbox

Related Articles

Self-assessment payments on account

Self-assessment taxpayers are usually required to pay their income tax liabilities in three instalments each year. The first two payments on account are due on 31 January during the tax year and 31 July following the tax year end date. These

Falling inflation – what does it mean for you?

The following notes are reproduced from a Treasury statement issued 21 May 2024. Lower inflation supports people by maintaining the purchasing power of their money. If prices only rise slowly, people can plan their budgets more effectively -

New Brooms

As time passes during the present election campaign, its seems more likely that we may have a change of government from the 5 July. Labour have disclosed a number of tax changes they would introduce. To summarise they are: Private school fees

You might also be interested in...