Covid-19 - help for those trading internationally

Posted on 6th April 2020 by Streets

Image to represent Covid-19 - help for those trading internationally

Whilst many of the measures announced by the government, such as the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme and the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme, can be accessed by most businesses, those trading internationally do face their own challenges. This has been recognised by the DIT and they are seeking to provide support to those affected. 

In particular their focus covers:

In country intelligence including business risk

Whilst many businesses operating overseas will have access to in country advice or intelligence concerning the impact of Covid-19, more specific advice is available from the in country or in region UK Embassy or consulate. General advice relating to business risk in a particular country is provided here

Supply chains affected by Covid-19

If your supply chain has been affected by Covid-19, DIT can help you to find alternative suppliers. The department has relationships with a global network of businesses across the world and will be able to advise you on the options available.

Financial support for exporters

UK Export Finance (UKEF) works with banks and insurance brokers to help companies of all sizes fulfil and get paid for export contracts. It provides guarantees, loans and insurance on behalf of the government that can protect UK exporters facing delayed payments or transit restrictions. You can ask for help from UKEF:

  • if your business is facing disruption due to late payments - UKEF can help ease cash flow constraints by guaranteeing bank loans through its Export Working Capital Scheme
  • if you are concerned about getting paid - UKEF offers an export insurance policy that can help you recover the costs of fulfilling an order that is terminated by events outside your control
  • UKEF can also support finance for overseas buyers through the Direct Lending Facility scheme so that they can continue to buy your goods and services
  • UKEF has over £4 billion of capacity to support UK firms exporting to China, as well as significant capacity across other markets affected by the Coronavirus outbreak to help cover these risks.

To find out if UKEF covers your region, email

International business travel

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office offers the latest advice about travelling abroad, including the latest information on Covid-19, safety and security, entry requirements and travel warnings. For further details please visit

DIT Covid-19 business support contacts

If you have questions on international trade and Covid-19, further information and dedicated business support is available here

There are DIT offices around the world that can offer advice to businesses specific to your region or country. For further information please visit


No Advice

The content produced and presented by Streets is for general guidance and informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal, tax, investment, financial or other advice. Furthermore, it should not be considered a recommendation or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy any securities or other form of financial asset. The information provided by Streets is of a general nature and is not specific for any individual or entity. Appropriate and tailored advice or independent research should be obtained before making any such decisions. Streets does not accept any liability for any loss or damage which is incurred from you acting or not acting as a result of obtaining Streets' visual or audible content.


The content used by Streets has been obtained from or is based on sources that we believe to be accurate and reliable. Although reasonable care has been taken in gathering the necessary information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information we publish and we accept no liability for any errors or omissions in material. You should always seek specific advice prior to making any investment, legal or tax decisions.

Expert insight and news straight
to your inbox

Related Articles

Is it time to reflect on the culture of your organisation?

Having been involved in recruitment interviews recently, in which seemingly all applicants asked what the culture of the organisation was like, it did give rise to reflection on the same and what is meant by culture and how it affects the success or otherwise of an organisation. Organisational ...

Class 4 NICs who is liable?

Most self-employed people are required to pay Class 4 National Insurance contributions (NICs) if their profits are £12,570 or more a year. Class 4 NIC rates for the tax year 2024-25 are 6% (2023-24: 9%) for chargeable profits between £12,570 and

Post Transaction Valuation Checks

A Post Transaction Valuation Check (PTVC) can be requested from HMRC for an individual to work out a capital gains tax liability or for companies to calculate corporation tax liability on chargeable gains. The request for a PTVC should be made using

You might also be interested in...