If you’re no longer able to comply with a condition of your authorisation because of the coronavirus (COVID-19), you must get permission from your supervising office in HMRC or Border Force to temporarily vary the conditions of your authorisation.
You can apply to temporarily vary the following conditions of your customs approvals:
- changes to site opening hours
- the need for staff to be on site in order to carry out a particular function if that function can be completed remotely
- the specific areas within an approved location in which customs controls must be conducted
- reducing dwell times to allow quicker permission to progress
- time limits for bills of discharge and throughput periods for special procedures
- how to process goods held in temporary storage over 90 days
You can apply to temporarily change your authorisation by emailing your supervising office with the subject ‘COVID-19 customs easement request’.
Applications will be looked at on a case by case basis and may be declined if there are concerns about the impact on customs controls.