A special update for those interested in property matters, including investors, developers, and those with residential lettings.
The last year certainly has been unprecedented for all including those involved and engaged in the property sector. The impact of the pandemic has undoubtedly changed the way we work, how we shop and even where we live. It is with this in mind that our Property Update will look at both the potential short to longer term impact of Covid-19 and the effect recent changes in taxation will have on those engaged in the sector.
Commercial Property Outlook
Dan Francis, Head of Research, Carter Jonas
Will Rooke, Partner, Eastern Commercial team, Carter Jonas
Dan will talk about the economic outlook and the implications for commercial property performance.
Will’s presentation will then delve into the dynamics of the office and industrial markets in and around Cambridge.
To conclude, Will and Dan will give their views on the future of the office and the impact of the shift towards remote working.
Residential Property Changes – what are they?
Jennie Brown, Private Client Tax Partner, Streets Chartered Accountants
Jennie will cover the key changes impacting residential property landlords over recent years. A summary of the topics included are:
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings
- Changes for Non-UK Residents
- Changes to Stamp Duty Land Tax
- Principal Private Residence Relief and the Loss of Lettings Relief
- Restrictions to Mortgage Interest Relief
Commercial Property Tax Reliefs – are you missing out?
Luke Prout, Corporate Tax Partner, Streets Chartered Accountants
Luke will cover specific tax reliefs for property owners and developers undertaking large development or refurbishment projects in the commercial sector. A summary of the topics included are:
- Changes in the 2021 budget with the introduction of the Super Deduction for plant and machinery and the 50% tax reduction on integral fixtures.
- An overview of the difference between revenue and capital expenditure.
- Land remediation relief – Tax relief for expenditure to restore land and buildings back to their uncontaminated state