Use invoice reminders in Xero to follow up on your outstanding invoices and receive payments on time, in a way that best suits your business.
Invoice reminders let your customers know when they've missed paying an invoice by its due date. You can also use reminders to let your customers know when an invoice's due date is approaching.
Xero has three default reminders set up for when you first turn on invoice reminders. The reminders are sent out at 7, 14 and 21 days after each invoice due date (overdue). You can customise or delete these reminders to suit your organisation, from personalising the reminder email to changing when it is sent.
Reminders are sent to the primary contact and any additional people who have the Include in emails option ticked in their contact record.
If a customer replies to a reminder, the response goes to the login email of the person who first turned the reminders on. You can change this address.
You can check on individual invoice reminders through their contact status and history to see if, or when, they’ve been sent.
What you can do with reminders
Once you've set up invoice reminders, you can:
- Edit or delete any reminder, including the defaults. For example, increase 7-day reminders to 10 days overdue or add payment details to the reminder email message
- Add a reminder that's sent to your customers before an invoice is due and specify the number of days before the due date that you'd like it sent
- Add up to five new reminders
- Turn reminders off and back on for your organisation
- Stop reminders going out to certain customers or for specific invoices. For example, for a partly paid invoice or one you've already spoken to your customer about.