- VAT registered businesses/organisations with a turnover over £85k.
- From the beginning of the first VAT period after this date there will be a need to keep digital records and make VAT submissions via software.
HMRC has deferred for 6 months the adoption of MTD for VAT for the following:
- “Not for profit” organisations that are not set up as a company
- VAT divisions and VAT groups
- Certain public sector entities required to provide additional information on their VAT return
- Local authorities and public corporations
- Traders based overseas
- Those required to make payments on account
- Annual accounting scheme users
There will be a requirement to comply with MTD from the beginning of the first VAT period starting after 1st October 2019.
April 2020 (at the earliest)
- For Income Tax (self-assessment) and Corporation Tax.
- HMRC have said that this will only happen when MTD is working; a pilot for Income Tax is well underway.
- Previously Income Tax was to start in April 2018 for businesses above the VAT threshold, but this has now been delayed until April 2020 at the earliest.